In summary,

3 sisters. 1 and a half dude. Bottomless tummies. Our gastronomic adventure.

Add

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Baked Sutlac at Bosphorus


One of my favorite middle eastern dessert, is the Sutlac, also known as rice pudding. Sutlac usually comes in 2 forms, the orginal rice pudding, another is in the form of baked rice pudding. The way to know whether is baked or not, is you can just see from the top later part of the pudding, baked will looked...baked.

My first rice pudding adventure was when I went to Cairo. At first I was apprehensive with the look of it, because I'm not used to eat rice as a dessert. But 1 taste, I've fallen in LOVE! In fact, I've polished 1 bowl (which now come to think of it, like for 2 person's portion) Then during my travels to Turkey, Istanbul, I've tasted their version of baked sutlac, which is a bit different, which I find it, too sweet, like overdone with condense milk. I can only take about 3 spoonfulls, thats it.

Surprisingly, it is extremely difficult to find a good rice pudding in Malaysia. The ones sold in the supermarket, are not those pure ones, most only sell with additional flavors, for example  peach rice pudding, which I'm not fond off. I like my rice puds homemade and pure.

Encounter with Bosphoros's sutlac was by accident, I was sent to view at some art gallery on a job, when I saw this in view of Bosphoros's glass display. 1 spoon, I know these are the one that I've tasted in Cairo.


 
Sutlac or also known as rice pudding is a dish made from rice mixed with water or milk and sometimes other ingredients. Different variants are used for either desserts or dinners. When used as a dessert, it is commonly combined with a sweetener.


Our overall verdict with regards to :

The Food :
Everytime I go to this place, I'll just order dessert, so don't really know about the other  food. Been here 3 times actually, for its rice pudding hehe.

The Ambience : 8/10. There's 2 choices, you can either sit in the restaurant or sit outside (still in the mall actually but outside th restaurant) al fresco. I usually go for the sofa at the edge of the glass panel, where when you can view the entire Pavillion 4 stories up. And yes, you can yell, 'I'm on top of the world!' from up there.

The Location : 6/10. Set inside Pavillion and its on the top floors, which usually shoppers tend to miss it. But you can't miss it, with its beautiful blue shades of blue.

The Pricing: Moderate-high. Baked Sutlac costs RM16.00++ per clay bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment